COVID-19 Information and Updates | State of Illinois Office of the Illinois Courts
The Illinois Judicial Branch continues to monitor the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. It is important to have reliable information when dealing with a public health emergency. The Illinois Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control are two verified sources for information on COVID-19. Court users and employees are reminded to take the same precautions that would be used during any flu season (wash your hands thoroughly, cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and stay home if you are feeling sick). Please refer back to this page as it will be updated with new information as it becomes available.
PLEASE NOTE: Many Illinois courts are open for emergencies only. Additionally, the Illinois Supreme Court has issued extensions for deadlines in the Appellate Court and Supreme Court. Please find information below about your local courthouse or contact the clerk in your county or appellate district.
NOTA IMPORTANTE: Muchos tribunales de Illinois están abiertos solamente para emergencias. Además, la Corte Suprema de Illinois ha concedido extensiones de tiempo para los tramites en el Tribunal de Apelaciones y la Corte Suprema. A continuación podrá encontrar información acerca del juzgado de su localidad. Asimismo, puede comunicarse con el actuario de su condado o distrito de apelaciones.
Chief Justice Anne M. Burke's Thank-You Letter to Court Personnel
- Eviction Early Resolution Program Resources for Courts
- How to apply for rental assistance
- Statewide: Accepting applications May 17 through June 7 for one-time grants of up to $25,000 for missed rent payments as far back as June 2020 and future payments through August 2021. Interested landlords can apply directly at: https://ilrpp.ihda.org/.
- A tenant-initiated application process will be available from Jun 9 through June 28.
- Statewide: Accepting referrals on a rolling basis for one-time grants of up to $25,000 for missed rent payments and utilities as far back as April 2020 and three months of future payments. Interested landlords and tenants may connect with referring agencies listed by county at: dhs.illinois.gov/housinghelp.
- State, Suburban Cook County, Chicago: General information.
- Veterans: Resource navigation for veterans, including rental assistance or call 833-INFO-IJF (Veterans may also apply for the general rental assistance programs linked above.)
More COVID-19 information
COVID-19 Task Force
The COVID-19 Task Force was created in June to address the ongoing challenges with resuming court operations through the next phases of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Task Force is charged with analyzing and making recommendations regarding the continuing challenges for the administration of justice resultant from the pandemic. The Task Force is considering, among other matters: (1) how technology might appropriately be used for jury selection and trials; (2) use of remote proceedings in civil and criminal cases (particularly with regard to assurances of due process); and (3) logistics of maintaining safety for court personnel, litigants and the public. The current roster is
Illinois judges across the state are stepping up and administering justice and handling caseloads despite the disruption to the courts caused by the global health pandemic.